Welcome!

My name is Ashley. I am 24 yrs old and I am running my first 1/2 Marathon on 3.7.10. I will be heading from Boston to Orlando to run the 2010 Disney Princess Half Marathon. Please enjoy my journey over the next months, as I track my training and thoughts about becoming a runner!

My 1/2 Marathon is in....

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Success on the Treadmill: 5 Miles

In the past month or so I had eaten dinner and then tried to run on the treadmill...I was lucky if I got a mile or more in. Ive been running in 10 Degree weather which has also been a struggle. On tuesdays I usually do a 5 mile run with a run club. Last night I had dinner plans so it was quicker to skip the club and go to the gym. I challanged myself to run 5 miles on the treadmill because I havent run that far since September when i first decided that I could infact run a 10K if I could do 5 miles. Anyway I did it! It was hard because I used to love running on treadmills and hated to run outside because it was so much harder. Very few people can train for races indoors so I took the challenge to become  a real runner and I began my journey outdoors. The more I got used to it, the more I began to hate treadmills because your legs feel like theyre going so fast and spinning out control. For my speed I started off at 5.4 and worked my way up to 6.2 by the last mile...I finished in 53 minutues 10:38 pace which isnt bad considering ive been running a minute slower or more per mile outside in the cold. Treadmill I don't hate you so much anymore!

1 comment:

  1. I hate the treadmill! Like you, I used to run on the treadmill all the time, but I've grown to love the outdoors running. Now I'm stuck inside because of the snow. :(

    Anyways, I'm a new follower :) I'm running the Disney Princess Half too!

    ReplyDelete